I was kind of surprised when a PR rep for a publishing house reached out to me for a DIY hair dye book review, but then I remembered that this is one of my most read posts and well, I think I know why they contacted me - ha!
DIY DYE by Loren Lankford $14.95 (also available at Amazon in hardcover and kindle editions)
There's nothing crazy in depth here, I mean you aren't going to graduate cosmetology school by reading this, but you will have a better idea about what your options are for at home color, the steps you should take and what will work for you and your comfort level. It's a guidebook more than a textbook, written in easy to understand steps and language. And don't think she just covers "crazy" colors, she covers every color!
I was so pleased that she covered henna, because I started out my color journey with henna and black coffee and have been toying with the idea of dying it with henna again (taking a break from the box color). And with the information from this book, I'm going to do it!
She also covered dying with Kool-Aid! My bestie did this in college and we could have used the wisdom in this book for a better method. Trust me. our method of getting that color in her hair was ugly. Let's not even talk about how much I would have used this book in college.
I was surprised how much I loved this book and how much new information I got from it. I feel like there are more options and methods that I want to experiment with. Hair chalk being one, I was a little intimidated and now I'm going to try it out. After I get that henna on my hair - I just ordered this and will report back on my results.
I highly recommend this book if you or someone you know is interested in learning more about DIY color options. It's a great resource!



ooh, sounds like a cool book to have on hand. after years of working in a salon and having them dye my hair, i now DIY!
ReplyDelete[oomph.]
$600 SPRING Giveaway!
i got that book too! i'm giving mine to my little sister--she's going to love it. i was all about the koolaid dyeing back in the day!
ReplyDelete