Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Scary Hair (color) Incident - Garnier Olia Review

I had a few people ask me to share my home hair color horror story, so here goes.  First of all, I just want to say that I really like Garnier products, never had an issue with any of them and I certainly don't want this to be a hate filled rant - but I do hate the Olia hair color product ;o)  Here's why:
Yeah, that's my hair the day after I colored it.  Like I said before, I've been coloring my hair at home for 20+ years and have never seen anything like this.  The aftermath was a weird patchwork of platinum, orange, fire engine red, burgundy and brown.

I always like trying new at home hair color products and when I saw the new Garnier Olia advertised with promises of oil powered color, little odor, etc, I knew that I was going to try it!  So off I went to the store to check out the red options.  There were only a couple in this line (first red flag - no pun intended).  Reds are tough, trust me I know.  I decided on this one:
I opened up the package and was met with this:
Second red flag - the developer wasn't already in the applicator bottle.  This gave me pause, because with most haircolor products the developer is already in the applicator bottle all perfectly pre-measured and ready for the color to be added.  I went ahead and squeezed the developer in the applicator but it was thick and super hard to get out of the tube.  I felt I couldn't get all of it in the applicator, which made me uneasy.  I then added the colorant and shook it up as directed.  It really didn't want to mix.  It was gloopy and splotchy but it finally appeared to be mixed.  I applied it as directed and as I normally do with any at home color.  But I noticed that as the color was running out, the more the mixture appeared to be more developer than color.  Weird.

Tick, tock, tick, tock - time to wash it out.  Took an amazingly long time to get the color out, I've never had so much red left on a towel after washing the color out in my life.  Like a crime scene.  It looked odd, but it was still wet and I decided to let it air dry and see what happened then.  Well, you've seen the results.  I was gobsmacked.  I had no idea WTF happened - or how to fix it.

Long story, short, I decided to go and get Clairol's temporary haircolor with no ammonia in a brown shade to try and tone down the crazy red and even out the blonde/yellow/oranges.  It worked good enough, not great, not perfect, but okay for now.  Luckily reds fade quickly and even after all this time/additional color the Olia is still washing out leaving my towels with a lovely reddish hue when I dry my hair.  Insane.

That all being said, I've seen several people use this brand and love the results, of course they weren't using the red.  Needless to say I won't be using this color ever again. 

As for what I will be using, these are the products that I've been super pleased with and would recommend:

Hands down the best color in my opinion.  They have a ton of shades to choose from.  I've been using it on and off since it came out years ago.  Delivers a gorgeous, vibrant, natural looking color.  Here's how my hair looked after a Feria coloring a few months ago using the color on the box above:
Gorgeous, right?  And delivered exactly the color promised.  This was an Instagram picture so excuse the quality.

Super easy to apply and reliable results.  Not as intense of a red as I like, but delivers a lovely, natural hue.

So there you go.  Have any of you tried Olia yet?  What are your thoughts?  Any other at home haircolor products to you love (or hate)?  Anybody else had a color disaster?  Do tell!

12 comments:

  1. ACK! That's horrifying... I would have been an awful panic if I saw that. Very strange that that happened. Hopefully the company reaches out and can explain itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy. Crap. I would've had myself a good old fashioned hissy fit. wow. This is why I stopped coloring my hair myself - not to mention all the...ahem...GREY that I need to cover now. So with the color correction you put on it, are you happy with your color now? Guess it's a good thing your education is in color, huh? And your hurr in that last photo? Is GLORIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMgosh...I know you were freaking out. I used to do color at home years ago. One of my BFF's is a sylist now so I just go to her and she works it all out for me lol. But even with going to a salon I've had my share of mishaps. The time before last she used a permanent and a semi permanent (in different areas) to help with how badly my brown fades. I ended up with my hair 2 different colors...and not cute like ombre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your heart!!! I would die!! Ok, slightly dramatic, but my hair is my only physical feature I like on myself and spend the most money on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes...scary! i like feria, and when i find one i like, i usually stick to it...although now i'm brown, which is easy. i did go many years as red, though, and i know it can be a very tricky color.

    rockoomph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg that's what's just happened to my hair! Its really ginger at the roots then a patchy blonde brown with some ginger patches and then dark ginger on roots I thought it was me that had done something wrong but I hate it and don't want to colour my hair for a while now as my head is sore because I did pre-lighten it a week ago then I tried a blonde which made me go orangey so I thought I would go ginger but not worked well at all. so I will have to wait a while but I don't want to go out like this! Could anyone recommend anything else I could do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a brown temporary wash out color to calm everything down and try and even it out - the ones that last 28 days or so and have no ammonia. I'm so sorry that happened to you!

      Delete
  7. Happened to me too.. I took great care in applying the dye after reading your review - just like you I have done this many times before. But it is patchy! I suppose I will have to buy another box just to fill in the holes, maybe that is their strategy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy and I'm so sorry it happened to you - but it does make me feel better that I'm not the only one ;o) I really think it's the developer not already being in the applicator bottle. There's just too much room for error. Hope you got it worked out.

      Delete
  8. I tried Olia in a dark red and it come out really light and faded and super patchy! I am going to try and dye it brown to fix it so hope fully that works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use this exact color all the time and love the result. My hair is very short, and I do not use the bottle provided. I mix the color and developer in a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Black Olia! I have used it numerous times, every 2-3 months and it works for my hair. I have mid- length, thin hair. This colorant makes my hair thicker and shiny. (My natural color is brown.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...