Monday, May 11, 2009

Favorite Finds

In the Spring of 2006, while we were living in Cumberland, MD, I found out that we lived just about an hour away from Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece Fallingwater. Well as soon as I got directions and reserved my tickets I made the pilgrimage. What an amazing house, what an amazing experience! We've all seen the pictures of this house perched over a waterfall, but to actually see it in person is breathtaking. It truly was one of those life changing things for me, I left so inspired and recharged. (I would post pictures, but they are really protective of the images and out of respect I will not do so - and yes I have some good ones). I'm getting excited just writing this - I can't put into words how much I loved it.

When the tour of the main house and the guest house (who knew there was a guest house - whose interior I fell in love with along with the gorgeous wisteria hanging off the roof) was over I made a beeline for the gift shop ready to spend. And spend I did - books, cards and best of all these wonderful earrings:

They are wonderful because suspended in each one is a piece of concrete saved during the restoration of Fallingwater (the rest is acrylic and silver - they not at all heavy). I can't tell you how many people have commented on them when I wear them, and I just love telling the story. How fantastic to have a piece of this house that you can wear - they also make pendants and cuff links too. They are one of my prized possessions and my "go to" earrings that look great with everything. They are a special souvenir of a great day and a great piece of architecture!

Image from Fallingwater store

3 comments:

  1. Very clever -- that is a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. I'm a big FLW fan and have always wanted to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's worth the trip to go and do the full tour, I wish I'd known we were so close earlier (we moved 4 months after I visited) I would have gone again. It was much more than I expected - incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...