Friday, June 22, 2012

Friend Friday - After The Wearing

I'm joining up with Katy over at Modly Chic for another FBFF linkup!  Today's questions are all about cleaning/purging your closet and what happens to the clothes, etc. after you do so.  I must say that this topic is so up my alley, I have a crazy obsession with keeping my closet tidy and under control.  Let's get started:


*Not my closet, I can only wish I had that space right now ;o)


1. How often do you go through your closet to purge the things you no longer wear?

Well, I try and do this every season.  When I shift the current season's clothes back into rotation I try and take stock of what I have, what I need and what just doesn't work anymore.  It's so important to make sure your closet's precious space isn't being occupied by things that you don't use anymore.

2.  What do you do with the things that you are through with?

If they are in like new/gently worn condition and are not luxury or upper end brands I usually take those to resale shops (like Plato's Closet or Uptown Cheapskate).  You don't get a bunch of cash for them but I usually use any money I get as store credit to buy other things when I need them.  If they are more luxury/upscale brands I try to sell them on ebay or do a consignment shop.  For all the rest that aren't as pristine (but still wearable - no stains/holes/etc) I take them to Goodwill.  For the ripped/unrepairable items I toss those (or make them into pillows - ha!).

3.  Have you ever sold on consignment or through online boutiques?  What has your experience been like?

Sure!  I have a consignment store near my Mom that I use a lot and I have always had good experiences.  I haven't done any of the online consigning, but I have thought about it.  I have a Prada skirt and LAMB cashmere sweater that I need to unload.  I'm sort of over selling on ebay, there are too many trolls on their now and I'm nervous using Paypal after my account was hacked about 2 years ago.  That was super scary.

4.  More and more people are concerned about the fast rotation of fashion and how that is filling our landfills.  What are you doing to decrease your clothing trash pile?

A subject near and dear to my heart.  I love finding new homes for my unused clothing, I love the idea that someone else can get some use out of it.  That being said, I generally wear my clothes until they fall apart.  My rule of thumb is that most of your clothing (not the trendy pieces, but the basics) should be the best quality that you can buy.  Especially your bags and shoes.  With a little TLC, good quality bags and shoes will last years.

5.  What's been your favorite/best score from a thrift store or consignment shop? 

Ha!  I've found so many gems!  I got some great Prada items on a resale site years ago.  Most recently I scored a fabulous short sleeved Lily Pulitzer sweater with a lion's face on the front for $10 (picture on my Instagram - @spryonthewall).  The best thing I scored though would have to be these Prada heels that I consider art:
I blogged about them here.

To check out what everyone else had to say go here!

Have a great weekend!


6 comments:

  1. GAH! Those Prada heels :melts: Amazing!

    Um, and I'm kind of super-jealous of your closet. I need to take inspiration from you like crazy. In fact... I think I may just do that and do some re-arranging this weekend and into next week! It'll definitely take quite awhile... :hangs head in shame:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Prada shoes are simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny!
    THOSE SHOES!! I am dying. Dying!

    And, I, like you am constantly purging to make room for new goodies. My closet is always organized but honestly, I wish I had more room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your closet looks so nice and neat! I try and keep mine in order (husband and I have to share a rather small one) but it's usually a hot mess due to us rushing about all the time. I take a lot to Goodwill. I also give a lot of clothing to a friend of mine. I love that Goodwill "recycles" clothing into other usable products (or gives it to companies that do). I haven't done much in the way of resale. I should consider Plato's Closet they have one in Raleigh now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shoes ARE fabulous!! I don't purge as often as I should! Currently, I don't wear half the clothes in my overstuffed closet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! Love your great blog! I just added myself to your followers for support and wanted to invite you to come follow back maybe and enter a fabulous I'm having right now!!

    Hope to see you there! Thanks so much!
    Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/07/chi-bling-giveaway-winner.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...