Thursday, July 28, 2016

Book Review - "Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Daily Lives" by Gretchen Rubin (#11 - 2016)



Ever since I read The Happiness Project (my review of it from 2013 is at the bottom of this post) I've been a huge Gretchen Rubin fan.  She takes what may seem like dry subjects and makes them interesting and informative.  I find her books so easy to read and digest.  I loved this book, LOVED it.  She takes an in depth look at how and why we form habits (and how we can form more good habits and ditch the bad ones).  Now habit formation and execution is not a one-size-fits-all thing, she bases it on how we respond to expectations.  She calls these "tendencies" and there are four types (I'm an "Obliger").  Knowing how we respond to expectations and being self-aware, we can then come up with strategies to make habits "stick".  I'm overly simplifying things, but trust me there is so much insight in this book.  I highly recommend picking it up!  Side note she has a podcast too that I enjoy.


The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - I've been wanting to read this book for quite and while.  I've heard some good buzz and let's face it, who doesn't want to be happier (or at least read about someones journey towards more happiness)?  Bottom line, it's totally worth your time.  You may not have the same happiness journey (in fact she points out that you probably won't), but it will help you to think about your own keys to happiness and what you can do to help make yourself happier.  I really liked how she didn't sugarcoat or shy away from being self aware enough to point out her flaws/weaknesses/what she wanted to work on.  I could totally relate to the whole "being snappy, yelling and nagging" issue she had.  I loved that the book made me stop and think a lot and I'm going to work on my own resolutions, mindfulness and happiness.  Totally and completely recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...