Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Book Review - "A Star for Mrs. Blake" by April Smith (#1 - 2016)


A Star for Mrs. Blake by April Smith

I could not wait to read this book, I had heard so many good things about it, the story sounded so solid and interesting.  It follows Cora Blake in the Summer of 1931, she is a "Gold Star Mother" and is invited to go to France by the U.S. government to say goodbye to her son killed in action in WW1.  She makes the trip with fellow Gold Star Mothers.  The women she travels with are from various backgrounds and circumstances and the story follows them through their journey.  This was such a great idea for a story.  It was a horrible read.  It took forever for me to get through it, I kept thinking it would get better or there would be a payoff/resolution of some sort that satisfied (or wasn't totally cheesy).  It did not.  There are so many characters who you don't really get to know, yet are supposed to care about.  It was all over the place, I just wanted some focus.  Reading this was like slogging through a bog.  I would not recommend this book at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...