Monday, February 8, 2016

Book Review - "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo (#41 - 2015)



I was eager to get my hands on this book after hearing all the hype.  I also love a book about organization.  First, let me start by saying, this was translated from Japanese, so sometimes it reads a bit weird (and the word "tidy" is used so much you will want to scream).  Second, this is not new information, the thing is she just presents it in a different way.  She gets a bit extreme in her purging, a little too extreme for my taste (I would not throw away as much paperwork as she suggests).  For example, in our move back to our house we lived in 8 years ago, we discovered the refrigerator we bought when we moved into the house was on the fritz.  I did some research and it turns out our model was involved in a class action lawsuit and recall.  So seeing as I had kept all of the proof of purchase information paperwork, it made the process go a lot faster when I had to speak with customer service.  If I had chucked as much as she suggests, the process would have been so much harder and time consuming.  That being said, since I was reading this while unpacking endless boxes after the move, it did help me let go of things.  Boxes and boxes of things.  So I will give her credit for motivating me to do that (I'm wondering if I would have been so motivated by the book if I had to dig stuff out of places to do the decluttering? Really not sure.).  The bottom line is, pick it up if you are in need of decluttering inspiration/in the mood to get rid of stuff/moving/need a different way to help with getting rid of things.  Otherwise, don't get wrapped up in the hype.

This is the last book I read in 2015, making a total of 41 books read in 2015.  I didn't get to my goal of 50 set back in this post, but I'll cut myself a break since we moved and that took up so much of my time and energy.  So far I haven't finished one book this year!  I have such a big stack to read and I've just not been in the mood.  Such is life.  Don't worry I'll still be posting reviews as I finish any I read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...