Monday, May 11, 2015

Book Review - "I'll Drink to That" by Betty Halbreich (#23 - 2015)


I'll Drink to That by Betty Halbreich

Eighty-Six year old Betty Halbreich has been running Bergdorf Goodman's personal shopping services department for over 40 years.  This book is a collection of stories from her life.  First of all I should say that I'm extremely envious of her job, sounds like my dream, and her stories about her work there were interesting.  The TV and movie costume people and her involvement was the most fascinating.  But (there's always a "but"), I really did not like this book.  I found it repetitive and I found her "aw shucks" lack of self awareness as to her extremely privileged background, and how it got her where she is, grating.  She tries to be down to earth, but when you are raised with/marry into that much money, you just aren't (such as the declaration that she's never had a resume!).  Sure she works hard, but she's basically looking after people who are like she was before she divorced and started working.  That being said, I always find people's stories interesting and this wasn't a complete waste of time.  I would recommend it to anyone interested in retail or fashion history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...