Friday, April 3, 2015

Book Review - "Landline" by Rainbow Rowell (#15 - 2015)


Landline by Rainbow Rowell

You know I love a Rainbow Rowell book, so I was super excited when I finally got this book at the library (I was on the list for a while).  The story is about Georgie McCool who is a successful sitcom writer, whose marriage seems to be in trouble.  She works all the time and has a huge opportunity with her writing partner Seth (whom she's known and worked with since college) to create their very own network show. But they have to do this in a short amount of time, over Christmas vacation, which means she'll have to bail on the trip to Omaha to visit her husband Neal's family.  Neal is upset and they part ways on uncertain terms.  Georgie can't bear to go home to an empty house, so she decides to stay at her mom's crazy house.  Since her cell phone's battery is about shot, she has to use her old, yellow, rotary phone in her childhood room.  And that's where she finds she can communicate with the Neal of the past.  Yes, it's weird.  No, it doesn't make a lot of sense and you sort of feel like you are in the middle of Georgie's nervous breakdown.  Of all of her books, this was my least favorite and that's mostly because I didn't like one of the characters.  I mean Georgie seems to be brilliant but she can't figure out how to just take care of little things and that frustrated me to no end.  The issues with the cell phones being constantly dead. Really?  Just go and buy a new damn phone!  I never really understood what the issues were (other than Georgie's working long hours), but this is something that people deal with all the time.  The story just fell flat with me.  I would pick up Eleanor & Park or Fangirl before this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...