Thursday, April 23, 2015

Book Review - "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins (#20 - 2015)


The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

I was in line at the library for a while for this one.  First of all the comparisons to Gone Girl are a bit exaggerated, in my opinion.  The story revolves around Rachel, a woman who is divorced, struggling with alcoholism who, while riding to and from work every day on the train, has to pass her old home where her ex-husband and his new wife and baby girl now live.  Adding to that, a few houses down are a couple who Rachel sees a lot from the train (it stops in back of the house every day for a signal, how convenient).  Rachel has been "creating" a sort of story in her head about them. Anyway, one day the woman goes missing and Rachel, who thinks she has seen something, is pulled into the ensuing chaos surrounding her disappearance.  The premise of the story is good, it's interesting, the execution was clunky.  Rachel's endless blackouts were tedious and the ex-husband and his wife were so flat for me, that it ruined the whole premise of this book.  Everybody seems to just gush about this book so I guess I'm in the minority because I couldn't wait for the darn thing to end.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I've been reading this book for ages... you're not in the minority. It has been difficult for me to get through :/ I did like Wardrobe Oxygen's review comparing it to fashion and wanting what others have because it's all a facade. We can create a beautiful image on Instagram/Pinterest but doesn't mean it's real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew!!! Amen Sistah. I practiclly never give up on a book, it's just wrong. After about 100 pages I did. Glad to see I didn't "miss anything." What in the world is all the hype???

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...