Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Book Review - "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn (#3 - 2015)

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

One thing I have to say about Ms. Flynn, she creates the most effed up, evil female characters I have ever "met".  Not a bad thing, but boy it's creepy.  The story follows Libby Day the (now adult) sole survivor of a horrific murder of her mother and two sisters that occurred when she was seven.  Her testimony helped put her brother (15 at the time) in prison for life for the murders.  Almost 25 years later she's contacted by a group of true crime enthusiasts called the "Kill Club" in hopes of finding out more information because they are convinced her brother is innocent.  Libby hopes to make some money from them for her time, so she somewhat reluctantly dives in, coming in contact with the people who may or may not have played a role in the happenings of that night.  The dangerous truth emerging along the way.  I did not enjoy this one as much as Gone Girl*, I'm not a huge fan of stories revolving around murder, but it was a really good story.  Needless to say I'm reading something a bit lighter next :)

*FYI - my review of Gone Girl from the "Books I've Read" tab (read way back in 2012):

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - Dude, prepare yourself for a story that is quite unexpected.  I don't want to give too much away, but it's about a married couple and the wife disappears on the day of their 5th wedding anniversary.  Was she kidnapped or something even more sinister?  I won't say, but I will say that I always believe that the true monsters aren't the ones you usually suspect.  A must read!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished this one, and my thoughts are similar. Like Gone Girl it was a fun read, although I enjoyed GG more. But yes, she does create some crazy characters!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...