Friday, March 7, 2014

Book Review - "DIY Dye" by Loren Lankford

Disclosure: I was sent a copy of the book for purposes of review. All opinions are my own.


I was kind of surprised when a PR rep for a publishing house reached out to me for a DIY hair dye book review, but then I remembered that this is one of my most read posts and well, I think I know why they contacted me - ha!  


DIY DYE by Loren Lankford $14.95 (also available at Amazon in hardcover and kindle editions)

But seriously, I've been dying my hair at home off and on for over 20 years. And boy, I wish there was a book like this when I first entertained the thought of dying my hair.  The book is written by Loren Lankford who is a freelance writer who has worked on magazines such as CosmoGIRL!, Cosmopolitan,  Entertainment Weekly, and Jane. She has an Etsy shop called Southern Dropout.  And yes, she still colors her own hair!


There's nothing crazy in depth here, I mean you aren't going to graduate cosmetology school by reading this, but you will have a better idea about what your options are for at home color, the steps you should take and what will work for you and your comfort level.  It's a guidebook more than a textbook, written in easy to understand steps and language.  And don't think she just covers "crazy" colors, she covers every color!  



I was so pleased that she covered henna, because I started out my color journey with henna and black coffee and have been toying with the idea of dying it with henna again (taking a break from the box color).  And with the information from this book, I'm going to do it!

She also covered dying with Kool-Aid!  My bestie did this in college and we could have used the wisdom in this book for a better method.  Trust me. our method of getting that color in her hair was ugly.  Let's not even talk about how much I would have used this book in college.



I was surprised how much I loved this book and how much new information I got from it.  I feel like there are more options and methods that I want to experiment with.  Hair chalk being one, I was a little intimidated and now I'm going to try it out.  After I get that henna on my hair - I just ordered this and will report back on my results. 

I highly recommend this book if you or someone you know is interested in learning more about DIY color options.  It's a great resource!

2 comments:

  1. ooh, sounds like a cool book to have on hand. after years of working in a salon and having them dye my hair, i now DIY!

    [oomph.]
    $600 SPRING Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got that book too! i'm giving mine to my little sister--she's going to love it. i was all about the koolaid dyeing back in the day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...