Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"Blog Inc." Review



 
I posted this picture on Instagram (@spryonthewall if you aren't already following) this past weekend and got some comments about a review/what I thought of the book.  So I thought I would do a post about my thoughts of Blog, Inc. by Joy Deangdeelert Cho.  First of all, it's a super quick read, I mean I zipped right through it.  I found some useful information but I would really say it was steered towards new bloggers.  Look, I've been plugging away at this blog for a little over 4 years - 4 years!?!  And I'm still baffled by a blogging, I've learned a lot by observing, trying and just trial and error.  I think she oversimplified a lot of it.  If you don't have a blog and you read this book, it makes it sound like you can start growing and cashing in lickety split (and lickety split for me is a year or two).  There are so many blogs out there it's just not that easy.  Maybe it's just me and my current level of blogging frustration* (I'm sure you all have been able to tell because I just haven't been posting) but I didn't get much out of this book at all.  Have any of you read it?  What do you think?  Am I just sour grapes?  :o)
 
*My frustration has come to a head the past few months because I just feel so overwhelmed and saturated with blogs.  It's like information overload and I feel like 90% is just noise and not much use.  I struggle with whether to continue on a daily basis.  I'm going to re-assess my part in the blogosphere after Bloggy Bootcamp next month.  That will be the make or break time for me.

7 comments:

  1. I hope the bootcamp is inspiring. I miss your "my takes" as those are a favorite. But it is easy to get overwhelmed. I have to watch how many blogs I read because it can easily just become a lot of noise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I'm sure I'd agree with you if I read it. Nothing is more frustrating than when people talk about blogging like it's so easy. There is so much sacrifice and TIME that people just don't get it.

    I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated. I totally understand and feel like quitting all the time.
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the bootcamp is inspiring and energizing for you.
    Personally, I miss your "my takes" the most as those are favorite posts.
    I have to watch how many blogs I follow and read, it easily gets overwhelming and just starts to feel like a lot of noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure that blogging is as much about growing an audience and profiting from your posts, as it is about a form of self expression and creativity. I, too have been struggling with my blog for two years, and I am still unsure of its focus or purpose. This year, I have been working on a P365, taking a photo each day and using it to inspire self-reflection, general observations, and creative writing. I enjoy it, and I know that someone is reading my posts. I only have 4 followers (one is my husband!), but I get about 1000 hits per week. I know someone is out there reading my blog (you are definitely one of my greatest supporters, Jenny!). I don't know who my readers are, and I'm not sure that it matters. It does help to know that there is an audience for my musings, but my blog is ultimately my own form of creative expression.

    I am really eager to hear about Bloggy Bootcamp, and I do hope you decide to continue blogging because your audience is out here too ;) ~Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand where you are coming from. I have no clue what I'm doing with my blog right now. I really love your fashion reviews. I really think you have SO much to offer and are so knowledgeable in that area. Every time I read those posts I say to myself..."this girl is amazing!" I hope you enjoy Bloggy Bootcamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for letting me know you posted this. Sounds like a book I might skip.

    I know what you mean about being over-saturated with blogs and sometimes finding it frustrating. Know that there are people out there (like me)who enjoy what you do, and keep coming back (as often as life allows) to see what you are up to.

    I am interested in hearing about bootcamp. Is it worth going and what did you learn. See, you have inspiration for future posts already:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had my current blog for 7 years, and I live journal'd for 3 years before that. Right now, I'm over run with useless information from some blogs. Drives me crazy. All the useless and misinformation, my major pet peeve. Oh, and them those who do something ordinary and slap a genius sticker on themselves for total awesomeness. I'm at a time of blog flux, too. My youngest starts kindergarten soon, what am I going to do with myself?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...