Thursday, July 21, 2011

The End of an Era...

Source: flickr.com via Jenny on Pinterest


Well, the shuttle Atlantis landed safely early this morning signaling the end of the shuttle program.  The end of thirty fantastic, productive, humbling, and at times, tragic years of exploration.  What's so great about the shuttle is that it is a reusable vehicle - I mean, how cool is it that it takes off like a rocket but lands like an airplane? 

One little tidbit you should know about me is that I'm a total space nerd.  I love NASA, I love space, I love everything to do with space travel and exploration.  As a student at the NCSU College of Textiles I was always trying to figure out a way to see what they were (and still are) working on in the Mars Mission Lab (and you thought us textile people just made underwear and towels).    I've done the pilgrimages to Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama (where it really all started) and Kennedy Space Center where I was even lucky enough to see a shuttle launch 10 years ago.  Seeing that launch was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced, it's so fast, so bright and so awe inspiring.  And while the future of our space program is a little fuzzy right now, we should never forget that space exploration reminds us to think bigger, aim higher, reach farther and to always look up and imagine the possibilities.

Source: google.com via Jenny on Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. it's really a little bit sad that a space shuttle won't start again - just for tourists...

    all the best juli

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool fact about you. Great photo.
    Daphne.
    http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's kinda sad huh? My SIL (who has the beach house here) lives right down the road from Kennedy. Her husband used to work for NASA at the VAB building. They took us there one year and it was totally awesome! He has moved on to a software company now but whenever we travel to see them he tries to see if there are any launches going on. In 2009 we saw a rocket launch @ Kennedy right from their front yard! It was really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm not much of a space nerd myself, but my husband's hometown of Hutchinson, KS is home to a space museum called the Cosmosphere. It's a popular field-trip destination and it's a pretty fascinating place. (Hutchinson is also home to a salt museum, but hey, not all museums can be cool right?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...