Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Uniform Dressing 1:1

As I mentioned last Friday, today starts a new series called "uniform dressing".  Most of us have some sort of "uniform" we wear everyday, some sort of "formula" that feels comfortable and works for us.  The series is going to focus on one uniform per month.  At the beginning of each month, I'll introduce you to the uniform I want to address.  Then each week, I'll try and mix it up a bit, translating it for different occasions - casual, work, etc every Wednesday for 4 weeks.  Basically taking the uniform to a different level, while keeping the same "feel" of it, so it will take you out of your comfort zone, but not so far away that it feels like a costume.

I'll be the first example.  I've said before that my uniform of late has consisted of pants and a t-shirt (or for this summer, bermuda shorts and a t-shirt), boring stuff people.  It's not awful, but sort of lazy and a bit lost.  I'm going through some transitional times and I need my "comfort" clothes, clothes that make me feel like, well, me.  Here it is:

I know, right?  Blah city.  So first, it's easy to just put on some great accessories, like a necklace, shoes, good bag, and a belt (God help me, I hate a belt, but it does wonders for looking a bit more together).  Nothing weird, same top and bottom, just a little more polish. 

Now here's the uniform transitioning into Fall, same pants, belt, and bag with a long sleeve white tee adding some lovely cobalt blue flats.  I have some similar flats and they are great to just add a punch of color and interest to a neutral outfit.  I love a statement shoe, ask anyone.  I added a different necklace, but the one in the look above would work too.

Stay tuned for next week's exciting installment!

8 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I think we all have uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love the muted multi-colored pearls. I live in black, white, and jewel tones. I think I have more little black skirts than I do jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uni is a sundress and flops or bermudas and flops. SO exciting right? HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. I fully expect to enjoy this series. And check me out, I learned how to comment on your blog page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited about this series! I love spicing up my "uniforms" so I can't wait to see all the looks you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the second look! Just a few accessories and it's a well-masked uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great! I'm glad you started this. My style, therefore most of my clothes, are very plain. But this is exactly how you keep plain from being boring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a great idea!! my uniform of late is my work outfit - black pants & white shirt so i love these tips for making things zippier. love the first collection you put together - that necklace is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...