Thursday, March 5, 2009

The pillow upon which I dream...

A few years ago I ran across this Manolo Blahnik pillow, pictured below, on one of those fabulous, obscure (at the time) second hand web stores. You know, the ones that sell barely used designer goods cast off by socialites, celebrities, and wealthy women who have more money than they know what to do with. What caught my eye was: #1 it was Manolo Blahnik (BIG fan), #2 it had Scottish Terriers on it (I collect interesting vintage Scottie knick knacks) and lastly I had seen these pillows in magazines and knew they were very hard to come by. Manolo had sold some in his stores, but mostly they were given as gifts for certain occasions. As you can see this one was clearly meant for Christmas 1997-98. I made note of the listing and kept my eye on it. When it was initially listed, it was a bit pricey. I checked on it a few times a week, hoping that no one bought it and that maybe it would go on sale. A couple of months later the site had a massive clearance to make room for new stuff. Behold my (I already considered it to be mine) pillow was on major sale - below 3 figures!!! I purchased immediately. A week later it arrived and it did not disappoint. It is a lovely pillow, you can tell it isn't cheaply made. The fabric is a lovely butter yellow linen, stuffed with feathers and has some very nice fringe. The image is carefully silk screened on the front - it's beautiful, the picture doesn't to it justice. I had my pillow and didn't think of it as anything more than a lovely item for my home, until...



I keep quite a few binders full of images/articles and the like that I have pulled from magazines throughout the years. If I find something interesting or inspiring I pull it and file it (more on this habit of mine in another post). Somewhere along the line I had pulled the editor's letter from Harper's Bazaar because it had pictures of then editor Liz Tilberis's office (see below - I'm unsure of what month it's from, but it's certainly during the late 90's). I love seeing creative people's working spaces, I find it fascinating. I really admire the late Ms. Tilberis. She reinvented Bazaar into a very graphic, fresh and visually stunning fashion magazine. The layouts, graphics and typography really made an impact (thanks to Fabien Baron - a genius that way). Sometime after I purchased the pillow, I was looking through one of the binders when this page caught my eye. If you look closely at her office you will notice (I know it's hard) 4 yellow Manolo Blahnik pillows - the same as my pillow - right on her sofa!! I did a double take. Now I'm not saying that I may have one of those pillows that once resided in her office (I'm sure more than 4 were made), but I can dream that it was. Right?! I can imagine in my head that the pillow I have once had a more glamorous life in NYC and had been a part of a very exciting time at that magazine. It may have overheard some very interesting conversations between very interesting people.


Sometimes I find myself staring at that pillow thinking "What if?" and "Maybe..." And it always makes me smile.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...